Monday, March 26, 2012

Show me what you're working with!

I may be militantly lazy about preparing and cooking/blending/whatever-ing delicious meals, but that doesn't mean I don't have a system. In fact, the only reason I can generally be so lazy about food in my house is because I periodically organize my kitchen and pantry space to my advantage. In fact, let's take a tour!

Here you can see all the rejects from my pantry:



I haven't been able to part with every canned item (yet!) in lieu of fresh choices, but I have made some improvements, as you can see:

 The pantry is on the far side of my generously sized kitchen. Below the pantry is a small counter (not pictured here), and across the room is my work space.


Ah, work space. This is where I blend, chop, and create delicious dishes! Notice the dry erase/bulletin board above my spices where I make all sorts of notes about which recipes I like and what ingredients I need:



Close up on the 'frequency of use' items like protein powder, chia seeds, nuts, et cetera, that I know I need to be able to access quickly, especially in the mornings for smoothies:



There was no new recipe to try today, though my lunch was an excellent pairing of  leftover black beans and mexican-flavored tofu mixed with salsa I made in my blender. Dinner was a black bean burger with half an avocado and one small roma tomato. No pictures of that tonight, since it was so delicious I scarfed it down before I could even think about taking a picture.

I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. Ironically, although I have a dish washer, I am getting to the point where I prefer to hand wash the dishes and wipe down the counters each night rather than let them build up in the sink. When I walk into the kitchen in the morning and it's clean, I derive a sense of immense satisfaction. Although I let the dishes go a few days on occasion, I am finding it so much easier to keep up with the cleaning since I am not using as many pots and pans, which is a blessing.

Now it's off to count up my change and attempt the Yoga for Beginners video, again. One day my head will actually rest on my shin. Until then, it's yoga videos chez moi!









No comments:

Post a Comment